Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Introduction

The word apologetics comes from the word apologia ("in defense of"). Generally, and perhaps generically speaking, Christian apologetics as a discipline focuses on presenting a rational basis for the Christian faith by showing that reason and faith are not mutually exclusive, defending the faith against objections, and showing the unrivaled coherency of the Christian worldview.

The first Christian apologist, Paul of Tarsus told the early Christian church to "...always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have..." (1 Pet 3:15)

This blog will be an attempt to do just that, and dedicated to Christian apologetics, theology, and other such material topically related.

At times I will put down my own thoughts, but more often I will probably summarize significant things I have discovered, or find interesting while studying apologetics. There won't be rhyme, reason, or pattern as to what sub-categories within apologetics I am going to study and write about; it will probably just flow with what I am reading about at the time.

This is an expansive, complex, and controversial discipline with many different approaches, perspectives, and opinions as to its proper aim and function. This will be a learning experience but as a passion of mine, I aim to learn all I can about Christian apologetics, and hopefully this blog will help that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment